Why Artists Are the Luckiest.


“Picasso was drawing like an angel in the crib.” – Louise Nevelson, Sculptor
A few years ago, I was at a friend’s house socializing with a few people at a little get-together. One of the people at the party was a professional psychotherapist and analyst.
I started up a conversation with the analyst and we talked for a while about our lives and what we did for a living.  It was just one of those casual party conversations, nothing really heavy-duty.
During our conversation, though, the therapist said something that has stuck with me to this day.
“You’re very lucky,” he told me.  “You know exactly what you want to do with your life.  You want to be an artist.  A lot of people don’t know what to do with their lives.  They come to me for help, for guidance. Sometimes they figure out what they want, but sometimes they don’t.  But you are different.  You know.  That’s a good thing.  You’re lucky.”
I never saw the therapist again after that night at the party.  But I have often thought about what he told me.  And I have learned through these years that he was exactly right.
A lot of people out there don’t get to be so lucky.   They don’t get to find easy answers about who they want to be in this life.  They struggle with their identity.  For whatever reason, they never really find their authentic selves.  In a very real way they remain strangers to themselves, lost souls.  And I think that’s kind of sad.


Why You Are So Lucky….

But if you are anything like most artists I know (and I’ll bet you are), you have always known that you were a creative type.  You have always been drawn to create, to write, to paint, to sculpt.  You have probably always known that since you were very young.
You were probably drawing or painting (or whatever it was that you did) just like Picasso in the crib.

Post a Comment

Designed by OddThemes | Distributed By Gooyaabi Templates